Stubborn fat clings to certain areas of the body and holds up mighty resistance against our best fat-loss efforts. When it comes to the upper body, fat around our back and shoulders often results in the dreaded bra bulge.
Adopt these 10 effective exercises, alongside a healthy diet, and you will get rid of that stubborn back fat in no time!
1. Back-Intensive Cardio Exercise
Fit a pull-up bar to your home and before you know it, you will be on your way to a sexy back and a heap of functional strength.
Begin with negative pull ups as follows:
- Start with your palms facing outwards at the top of the movement.
- Slowly lower yourself in a controlled motion.
- Reset to the top of the movement and repeat 5-10 times.
Then move onto full pull-ups when your strength allows:
- Starting from the bottom of the movement.
- Pulling up with your back, shoulders, and arms.
- Lower yourself in a controlled manner and repeat 5-10 times.
TYIs are excellent for improving overall posture while strengthening the back and core.
Perform TYIs by lying face down on a bench or floor.
- Engage your back muscles and lift your chest up.
- Move your arms up to form a “T”.
- Slowly move them into a “Y”.
- Slowly move them into an “I”.
- Repeat 5-12 times.
If this exercise becomes too easy, grab a couple of light dumbbells and try it again!
Push-ups do a great job at strengthening your chest and revealing your new streamlined back!
Start with modified push-ups from your knees:
- Slowly lower your chest to the ground, focus on engaging your back muscles.
- Push back up to the top position.
- Repeat for 10-20 repetitions.
If you can perform 20 reps with good form, switch to normal push-ups from your feet with straight legs.
Bridges will cultivate a well-shaped bum and work your back-stabilizing muscles simultaneously.
- Start by lying on your back.
- Bring your knees up to a 90-degree angle.
- With your feet flat on the floor, lift your buttocks up until your back is in a straight line.
- Hold this position for 10-15 seconds, then slowly lower yourself to the ground.
- Repeat this movement 10-20 times before completing a set.
6. Straight-Arm Planks
Planks are an awesome core-strengthening exercise. Use them to build a 6-pack to go with your toned back.
- Start with your arms straight towards the floor.
- Lift and hold your body as straight as possible.
- Hold this position for 15-60 seconds then rest.
- Perform this static hold 3 times in total.
7. Dumbbell Rows
Get hold of a dumbbell and start performing this back-toning movement!
- Place one of your knees on a study bench or similar object and hold your dumbbell in the opposite hand.
- Keeping your back as level as possible, pull the dumbbell to your armpit in a straight rowing motion.
- Slowly lower the weight back down but don’t fully lock your arm out.
- Once you have completed a set of 8-12, switch to the other arm and knee and repeat.
8. Jump Rope
Jump ropes are an old-school favourite for boxers, and for good reason. It’s a great way to work your shoulders and back and build a lean mean physique!
Get out for a 15-minute jump rope session 2-3 times per week. For every drip of sweat, you are burning through a little more fat!
9. Resistance Band Rowing
Resistance bands are an incredibly flexible fitness tool. You use one in a simple rowing motion to train your back and shoulders almost anywhere!
Go for 10-20 minutes rowing sessions with varied intensity. Your back will be slimmer and firmer in no time.
10. Wall-Assisted Handstand
Handstands are a mighty exercise for shoulders, back, and core. Using a wall to assist takes away the balance element, allowing you to focus on fully engaging your back and shoulders.
- Start by “rolling in” to a suitable wall and walking up your feet.
- Make sure you support your head and neck by pushing off the floor with your hands.
- Hold this stable position for as long as you can before lowering pushing off the wall.
- As your strength allows, press through your hands and shoulders to raise and lower yourself slightly.
A Final Tip To Help You Get Rid Of Back Fat:
Combine these exercises with a clean diet and caloric deflect. In other words, control your food intake so you are ultimately burning more calories than you are consuming. Diet plays a huge role in both a leaner back and overall physique. Good luck!